A blog about living in Aberdeen, New Jersey.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Herding Viewers at Hazlet Multiplex

Have you ever been to the Hazlet Multiplex Cinemas to enjoy a blockbuster film only to have management come to the front of the theatre and bark at the audience, either with the use of a megaphone or a loud voice? If you've missed it, all I can say is it's an experience.

No doubt theatre managers have to limit misbehavior and the rule of law takes a backseat when Spiderman or Batman is in the house. Then again the movie theatre isn't grade school and the manager isn't my principal.

Maybe megaphone man has toned down the lectures about feet on the seats, noise, and cell phones? Maybe he doesn't issue as many warnings about potential removal from the theatre for violations of the theatre's code of conduct? Then again, there haven't been many blockbuster films of late either.

All I can say is that I've never been so ready to take my business elsewhere as when this guy takes center stage. Especially when I'm treated like a five-year old but charged adult ticket prices. (See poll to the right)

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been to too many blockbuster movie openings lately, so I've missed this one. My guess would be that the multi-plex is trying to avoid litigation by making sure things don't get out of hand. I've read many stories about stores and movie theaters having problems with violence in the theater/store when large crowds gather.

    While I certainly don't feel like getting yelled at when I'm trying to get into a movie, there are those who show up who probably need it. While I know plenty of great kids, there are those who don't seem to know how to act in public these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there are some hooligans out there who need direction. Monmouth Mall has had more than its share of teenage violence. But there's a way to handle that obligation more professionally. The movies shouldn't be summer camp is all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete