A blog about living in Aberdeen, New Jersey.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Lake Lefferts, Revisited

I've updated my article on Lake Lefferts to include the name of the person for whom the lake was named. I have some questions for my readers, though. The lake was formed in 1928 by damming Matawan Creek, but Jacob Lefferts was only a teenager then, so does anyone know when the lake was actually named for him? Presumably Mr. Lefferts did some real estate development in Matawan in the 1950's-1960's, perhaps the development of the fine lakefront? Seems to me the lake was already named Lefferts when I moved to the area in 1978, so it wasn't named in his memory since he didn't die until 1989. Tougher still, did the lake have a name between 1928 and whenever it became Lake Lefferts?

Also, does anyone have details about the large boarding house or academy pictured above? It is in such a nice location on Lake Lefferts, why hasn't it become a fancy condominium development or exclusive senior center? I'd be interested in postings or emails about that as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment